12 January, 2022

I was browsing books the other day, and came across Operation Sock Drawer, and dang, that cover photo hit me! I've made a small box of socks before as a yearlong KAL, but hadn't thought to line them up in a larger box like that. So I grabbed whatever was handy, which was a cardboard box, cut it, and voila, my very own sock 'drawer'! I was able to fit 35 pairs, and I 🧡 it to bits. I wanted a proper wooden box or a shallow basket, but for now, cardboard will suffice. I dug some socks out of my cedar chest, and it was fun taking a look back through them and making discoveries. Like over time, my gauge has become much looser, which is a bummer; I'll need to work on that. I was 3/4 of the way done with my current sock WIP, and it's so comparatively loose that I fell out of love with them, poor sock babies. Some things I learned: My favorite pattern is vanilla with an FLK heel. There are a couple of other simple patterns that I like, but the fancier ones, not as much. I really like my one pair of Toasty twists, so I'll have to make more of those. I DO enjoy the Opal and other brands of self-striping commercial yarns, and I like slightly larger, roomier socks but in a very tight gauge. The wale deflection is my favorite toe decrease. Magic Loop is the best thing ever. Some of my earlier socks are so tiny, like Dina, get a grip, you don't have Barbie ankles. I've currently been dyeing a zillion 20g minis (tons of fun, I highly recommend trying dyeing), so I'm about ready to figure out my favorite method of knitting a 5-color scrappy sample sock and sell the kits on Etsy. But don't hold your breath, I'm the slowest person in the world at getting these things going. But I DO have a pretty rad sock drawer now, and I'm going to have fun wearing the heck out of them. Maybe I'll buy myself a sweet pair of Birkenstocks so I can really show them off proper.

Also, WHEN the frick is Corona virus going to end, this is getting very annoying. Downright perturbing! I wasn't too worried at first, but the other day I randomly checked the death statistics on the CDC site, and it was unsettling. Almost 300k more people have died from Corona virus in the US than died in the 1917 flu outbreak so far, and the number of folks who have died in the past 30 days was truly alarming. I should go get my booster, but I got so damned sick after shot number two, that I'm scared. Anyway, I hope that anyone reading this stays safe and healthy and that this pandemic bullplop ends very soon so we can get back to normal. Also, antibiotic resistance is very concerning, but that's a whole other rant, ttyl!