29 June, 2018

Decluttering

Slowly but surely I've been editing my stuff, ala the Marie Kondo method. She's the Japanese organizational guru, and I'm 100% behind her philosophy of surrounding yourself with only the things you love most and discard the ones that bring you down. So, I went through all of my knitting WIPS and made a pile of the ones I knew I didn't want to work on ever again, and even though it meant getting rid of maybe 100 hours of effort, I feel really good about it! Anyway, I've been knitting for a bunch of years now, and I'm pretty used to a certain percentage of my projects not working out. The law of averages though.
Here's my pile ~  

There's a shawl made from alpaca lace that I was in love with until I made a big boo-boo that I don't have the energy to fix, a super-soft cowl that is actually really itchy when worn against the skin, and also the wrong size, a mitten I designed one afternoon that came out pretty good except for the thumb being wonky, 20% of a zig-zag scarf before I realized that working with that yarn was torture, HALF of a lovely blanket that I lost my mojo for many years ago, a bunch of mitered squares I made before realizing that duh, I should join them as I go instead of trying to sew them together afterwards, one sock that is a weird shape, a honeycomb pillow that was coming out huge and was tedious to work on, and a marled hat that is too small.

My cat, Mara, is almost a year old now, and she's pretty good about leaving my knitting alone, but having a bunch of it spread out before her was a bit too much to resist, so it only took a few minutes for her to start licking everything and rolling around in it, hehe. She's so cute.