09 July, 2019

 
For the longest time, I've wanted to make my own sock blockers. (Proper ones to sell, not like arts-and-crafts with a placemat) None of the pairs that were available really were what I wanted as far as the shape, color, material, and price. I'm still daydreaming about doing this, but it requires getting a CAD file design, finding a manufacturer, and making decisions about packaging and what-not, so chances are pretty high that I'll never get around to it. But if I ever do, I can say that I learned a lesson about them today. For years, I had a pair of Knitpicks blockers, those blue ones that are perfectly fine, but I don't love them. Anyway, I accidentally melted one about a year ago, and finally got around to getting a new pair. This time I looked around and was able to find someone selling some that I thought fit my criteria. Proper length, cute, nice top part. Yay! Pretty new blockers! But they are too big(even though the length is fine, the toe is too round, and the leg part is too thick, and it kinda ruined the first sock I blocked on it). Boo. I just ordered another pair of the boring blue ones that I have a new appreciation for, and the lesson learned is that when you block your socks, go for a slightly smaller fit so that the cuff and the toe don't get stretched out.